About the Awards
The Restaurant & Bar Design Awards now in its ninth year is a globally recognised competition dedicated to the design of food and beverage spaces. This covers every imaginable space, from ships to airports, museums to burger vans, and from revered Michelin-starred establishments to the fleeting dynamism of pop-ups.
The Awards attract the world’s top designers, hospitality operators and judges from the UK and globally. Recent names include Zaha Hadid, Kengo Kuma, Foster & Partners, Stephen Alden, Gordon Ramsay, Tony Chambers (Editor in Chief, Wallpaper*), Alberto Alessi, Thomas Heatherwick and many more.
The Awards ceremony will be held at London’s King’s Cross on the 5th October 2017.
Taschen has published a book about the Awards.
2018 award categories
Projects located in the UK
- Bar or Club
- London Bar
- London Restaurant
- Multiple Restaurant
- Restaurant or Bar in a heritage building
- Restaurant or Bar in a hotel
- Restaurant or Bar in a retail space
- Restaurant or Bar in another space
- Standalone Restaurant
UK & International
Projects located in the UK or internationally
- Surface Interiors
Projects located outside of the UK
- Americas bar
- Americas restaurant
- Asia bar
- Asia restaurant
- Australia & Pacific bar
- Australia & Pacific restaurant
- Europe bar
- Europe restaurant
- Middle East & Africa bar
- Middle East & Africa restaurant
The Restaurant & Bar Design Awards are open to UK and International projects launched or renovated between the 1st January and 31st December 2017.
All work must be entered in collaboration. If you are the designer your entry must be made with the relevant hospitality operator. If you are a hospitality operator you can only enter in collaboration with your designer.
Judges may enter the awards, however they will not be able to judge their own entries.
- Call for entries open: 8th January 2018
- Closing date for entries: 15th April 2018
- Shortlist announced: 14th June 2018
- London awards ceremony: End of September 2018
What is the cost?
Entries that are accepted will be liable to the following costs:
- 8th January – 31st January– Early bird fee – £220 + VAT
- 1st February – 31st March– £260 + VAT
- Entries submitted after 1st April – £290 + VAT
Who gets an award?
Awards will be given per category to both the winning designer as well as the winning food and beverage space operator.
Which category should I enter?
A project can be entered into any relevant category. If you collaborated on a piece of work with another company or individual, you will need to make sure they haven’t entered it as well. A full list of this year’s categories is available.
Prepare your work
Make sure all entry materials (text and images) are clear, concise and of the best possible quality. Poor quality visual media will weaken your application.
What you will need
- Full contact and location details for the restaurant or bar and full contact details for the project’s designer
- To have made a decision on which category you wish to enter the project.
- Textual content ready to cut and paste into the relevant boxes. You have up to 400 characters (approximately 60 words), including spaces and punctuation, for each text box:
- Design brief
- Design challenges
- Design results
- Details of at least 6 products or services that were used in the design / delivery of the project. E.G. Products used within the space such as furniture or lighting. Or third party services such as fitout or lighting design. You can add more than 6 if you want to.
- Up to ten good quality images of your project. Each image must be JPEG / JPG format and no bigger than 2MB in size.
The entries that best meet the judges’ personal definitions of ‘design excellence’, will win.
Ensure that you meet deadlines
It is essential that all work is entered in full and on time. Any work that isn’t, may be rejected from the competition.
When can I enter?
All entries must be made online. The call for entries opens on the 8th January 2018 and closes on the 15th April 2018.
Wait for the results
The shortlist will be announced on the 14th June 2018. All category winners, including the judges’ choice of Best Overall Designed Restaurant and Best Overall Designed Bar (and Best overall UK Restaurant & Bar) will be announced at our London awards event at the end of September 2018.
I have a query
If you have any questions or encounter any problems with your entry, email us via the contact page.
Visited 121 times, 1 Visit today