The International Design Excellence Awards (IDEA)® 2018 opens for entries Jan. 2 with an expanded jury, a new look and some new categories. The annual global competition has been conducted for 38 years by the Industrial Designers Society of America (IDSA). “A new year brings new excitement,” declares IDEA 2018 Jury Chair Michael Kahwaji, IDSA. “One of the world’s most prestigious and rigorous design competitions is moving into its 38th year—revitalized and energized.”
Kahwaji is leading the 2018 jury that includes nearly three dozen experts in a wide variety of design disciplines from some of the world’s largest corporations, major design studios and leading universities. The 2018 categories include three new ones: Home; Furniture & Lighting; and Lifestyle & Accessories. Branding and Consumer Technology were added in 2017. Also, with the help of fuseproject(link is external)—the design studio founded by longtime IDSA member Yves Béhar—the awards program has undergone changes including the redesign of its trophies. “For anyone who is a maker, who is building something, it’s the ultimate achievement to get an IDEA,” says Béhar. “IDEA is the award by designers, for designers.”
Benefits of Winning
IDEA winners receive significant, international publicity and exposure. Read winner testimonials. In contrast to many other design awards, most of the associated perks of winning an IDEA are included with your entry fee. In addition to our media partners’ announcements of the winners, print and online media publicize IDEA winners’ stories each year. IDSA’s annual Yearbook of Design Excellence, featuring in-depth coverage of the Gold winners and a complete listing of all honorees, is distributed to an international audience of design and business executives.
- Publicity–International press exposure of close to 500,000 views
- Yearbook of Design Excellence–inclusion in and copy of this keepsake
- IDEA Gallery online–attracting more than 3,000 page views/month and featuring a new SEARCH function, making it easier to find winning products
- Winning products become part of the permanent collection of The Henry Ford Museum
- License to display IDEA winner logo on the website, packaging, advertising and merchandising materials of the winning product
IDEA judging is based on the following criteria for design excellence. A winning design meets most of these criteria in a positive manner, category dependent.
- Design Innovation: How is this design unique or innovative compared to other designs in this category?
- User Experience: How does this design deliver a simple, intuitive or delightful user experience?
- Benefit to the Client: How does this design improve the client or manufacturer’s profitability, brand reputation, employee morale, etc.?
- Benefit to Society: How does this design benefit the greater good; consider society, the environment, culture, the economy, etc.?
- Appropriate Aesthetics: The judges will use the provided visual materials (photos and optional video) to assess this category dependent criteria.
IDEA 2018 Schedule
- Open for Entry: Jan. 2, 2018
- Regular Entry Period: Jan. 2–March 5
- Late Entry Period: March 6–March 19
- Finalists notified by: April 18
- Winners notified by: June 1
IDEA 2018 Categories
- Automotive & Transportation: Automotive & Locomotive Exterior and Interior / Marine & Aircraft Exterior and Interior / Motorcycles / Recreational Vehicles / Bicycles / Concepts & Prototypes
- Branding: Identities / Collateral / Additional Logo Applications
- Children’s Products: Children’s Toys & Games / Learning Tools / Children’s Accessories / Children’s Apparel / Concepts & Prototypes
- Commercial & Industrial Products: Building Equipment & Systems / Heavy Machinery / Construction & Industrial Vehicles / Other Equipment or Tools / Concepts & Prototypes
- Consumer Technology: Phones and VOIP / Cell Phones, Smart Phones, PDAs / Navigation Devices / Earpieces & Headsets / Accessories / Desktops / Laptops, Notebooks, Ultra-Mobiles / Tablets / Servers & Housings / Portable Devices / Display Screens, Monitors & Projectors / Input Devices / Peripherals / Concepts & Prototypes
- Design Strategy: Design Strategy & Management / Design Thinking / Design Research Projects
- Digital Interaction: User Interface / Web & Applications / Concepts & Prototypes
- Entertainment: Stereos, Speakers / TVs, DVD players / Headphones / Cameras & Camcorders / Personal Audio Players / Accessories & Cable Management / Home Theater / Musical Instruments / Multimedia & Gaming Equipment / Multi-Function Devices / Mobile Entertainment / Concepts & Prototypes
- Environments: Corporate, Public & Private Spaces / Environmental Graphics & Signage Systems / Museum Exhibits & Set Designs / Showrooms & Retail Merchandising / Trade Show Exhibits / Street Lighting and Furniture / Concepts & Prototypes
- NEW! Home (including Kitchen): Accessories / Flooring / Carpets / Décor / Bedding / Windows / Materials / Bathroom & Sanitary Furnishings / Wellness Rooms and Equipment / Control Elements and Systems / Appliances / Tableware / Utensils / Cookware / Cutlery / Concepts & Prototypes
- NEW! Furniture & Lighting (including outdoor furniture): Furniture / Kitchen Furniture / Lighting / Garden & Outdoor Furniture / Concepts & Prototypes
- NEW! Lifestyle & Accessories (formerly Personal Accessories): Apparel / Bags & Cases / Eyeglasses / Footwear / Hats / Watches / Concepts & Prototypes
- Medical & Health: Clinical & Diagnostic Products / Industrial & Scientific Products / Surgical & Therapeutic Products / Home-Care & Self-Care Products / Concepts & Prototypes
- Office & Accessories: Supplies & Organizers / Equipment & Fixtures / Writing Instruments / Office Furniture & Lighting / Concepts & Prototypes
- Outdoor & Gardens: Camping / Hiking / Climbing / Scuba Diving / Gear / Helmets / Backpacks / Hydration Products / Outdoor Cooking / Pet Accessories / Garden Equipment & Tools/ Garden Lamps & Lighting / Décor / Accessories / Concepts & Prototypes
- Packaging: Packaging Graphics / Packaging Structures / Concepts & Prototypes
- Service Design: Revenue Generating Services / Non-Profit Services / Government Services / Concepts and Prototypes
- Social Impact Design: Products: Design for the Majority / Humanitarian and NGO / Public Spaces / Government / Concepts and Prototypes
- Sports, Leisure & Recreation: Toys & Games / Sporting, Fitness & Camping Gear / Sporting & Fitness Accessories / Concepts & Prototypes
- Student Designs: Undergraduate Student Projects / Graduate Student Projects
September 20, 2018
Visited 151 times, 1 Visit today