Each year, the coveted Global Water Awards are presented at the Global Water Summit, the major business conference for the water industry worldwide.
Established in 2006 by Global Water Intelligence, the awards recognise the most important achievements in the international water industry within several categories, and reward those initiatives in the water, wastewater and desalination sectors that are moving the industry forward through improved operating performance, innovative technology adoption and sustainable financial models.
The 2018 Global Water Awards will be presented at the opulent Pavillon d’Armenonville in Paris, France on 16 April 2018, as part of the Global Water Summit. The awards ceremony will include a Gala Dinner for all attendees.
How to Nominate
16 November 2017 – Nominations open
31 January 2018 – Nominations close
15 February 2018 – The voting shortlist is released online and in GWI Magazine
1 March 2018 – Voting will open
30 March 2018 – Voting will close
16 April 2018 – Winners announced
How the Nomination Process Works
Nominations for the Global Water Awards open on 16 November 2017 and close on 31 January 2018. Nominations are open to everyone. Anyone (as an individual or on behalf of a company) can nominate a company, project, plant, technology, deal or initiative to be recognised by the Global Water Awards. Individuals can submit nominations for themselves or others. Individuals can nominate in as many categories as they want, and nominate multiple times in each category. All nominee applications are made on a confidential basis.
- Nominations can only be submitted via nomination form (see nomination form links on the right). Do not submit nominations via email, they will not be acknowledged.*
- Nominations must be submitted in English. We cannot consider non-english language nominations.
- A 200 word summary description must be submitted with each nomination (see summary field on nomination form) this must include specific and quantifiable information that will allow us to evaluate your nomination against others. Please summarise what is unique or special about this entry, and why you believe it should be considered for a Global Water Award. Nominations that do not include a summary or do not fulfil the terms above will not be considered.
- When submitting supplementary material (photos, pdfs, maps etc.) via email, please include the name of the category you are nominating in, in the email subject line.
- Do not nominate the same plant/project/company multiple times in the same category, this will not increase your chances of being included on the short list. This is a nominations process, not a voting process. Please co-ordinate with your co-workers to submit one nomination per plant/project/company per category. Nominating two different projects/plants in the same category, or nominating different projects/plants in different categories is welcome.
*N.B. Chinese companies wishing to nominate may submit nominations via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Nominations open on 16 November 2017 and close on 31 January 2018. The 2017 awards shortlist will be announced on 15 February 2018 and voting will open on 1 March 2018.
Criteria for Nominations
Entering a nomination for the Global Water Awards 2018: criteria and guidelines
Criteria for nominations (For all categories except The Water Leaders Award and Technology Idol 2018):
- The project or initiative must be able to demonstrate a significant contribution to the water industry. Specific factors to highlight are: improved operations and energy efficiency, technological innovation and the implementation of sustainable financial models.
- The outcomes of the project or initiative must have been reported in 2017.
- In the event that the project is shortlisted after the nominations process, the company’s CEO should be available to attend the Global Water Awards Gala Dinner on 16 April, 2018 where the winner will be announced.
Guidelines for sending nominations:
- Nominated Company/Project/Deal:
- Contact name:
- Contact telephone number (please include country dialing code):
- Contact email address:
- Please summarize, in no more than 200 words, what is unique or special about this entry, and why you believe it should be considered for a Global Water Award. Supplementary material (photos, pdfs, maps etc.) can be sent directly to email@example.com
- Nominations close on Wednesday 31 January, 2018.
Water Leaders Award
Description: the Water Leaders’ Award goes to the publicly owned utility from a developing country that is able to demonstrate an outstanding step-change in performance improvement in 2017.
- The utility must by publicly owned;
- The utility must be from a developing country as defined by the United Nations;
- The utility must be able to demonstrate a step-change in performance improvement in the 2017 period
- In the event that the utility is shortlisted after the nominations process, the utility’s CEO should be available to attend the Global Water Awards Gala Dinner on 16 April, 2018 where the winner will be announced.
Water Technology Idol 2018
- The technology must be early stage and be able to demonstrate realistic expectations for commercialization.
- In the event that the project is shortlisted after the nominations process, a senior representative from the company must be available to attend the Global Water Summit and make a 10 minute presentation at the designated session on the afternoon of Monday 16 April 2018. Nominee presentations will be followed by Q & A from the judges and attending delegate audience. The winner will then be determined by a live audience vote at the end of the session.
The Global Water Awards shortlisting process is the procedure by which the pool of nominations submitted in the open nomination phase are examined by a panel of independent experts, who shortlist the entries and compile them into award categories. Shortlisting begins on 1 February 2018 after nominations have closed. The shortlist is announced in the February 2018 issue of Global Water Intelligence Magazine and online. The panel of experts is not commercially linked to, or associated with any of the companies or projects nominated, or to the award hosts or sponsors.
Terms and Conditions
Votes are cast using a unique URL which is distributed via email to the following eligible parties:
- Subscribed readers of Global Water Intelligence magazine*
- Subscribed readers of the Water Desalination Report*
- Individual members of the International Desalination Association (IDA)
- Delegates who registered for the Early Bird discount
- Once. One vote, per person, per category.
- Belonging to more than one of the eligible groups (see: Who can vote) does not result in more voting power. The limit is always 1 vote per person per category.
- A subscribed reader is a named person that receives access to a GWI publication. A subscribed reader will have one vote for each Award category.
- A Single Licence Subscription includes up to 10 named readers = up to 10 voters.
- A Global Licence Subscription, no matter how many named readers it has, is restricted to 50 voters. This is to eliminate unfair advantage for the largest companies.
- No single company can recieve more than 50 votes, it does not matter how many subscribers, IDA Members, or early bird registered delegates you have, no single company is eligible for more than 50 votes.
Voting will close at 3am GMT on Friday 30 March 2018
- That your Subscriptions to GWI magazine and/or Water Desalination Report will be current in 2018.
- *That the list of named readers on your Subscription documentation (up to 10 named readers per Single Licence Subscription) is up to date. Please check your named reader list NOW. To update your list please contact customer services
- Whether you might wish to upgrade to a Global Licence Subscription should your Single Licence Subscription be insufficient.
- That your Individual membership of the IDA will be current in 2018.
- That the person reading this website information (you) conveys these rules to interested colleagues.
April 15, 2018
Marriott Rive Gauche Hotel & Conference Centre
Visited 90 times, 1 Visit today